Solar Powered School
In 2018, HeadStart made local history by installing the largest solar power system in Phuket. Our stunning 550 kWp photovoltaic solar system means that 80% of the school’s total consumption comes from green, renewable and sustainable energy and it is the largest solar powered installation of any school in Thailand. 55% of the solar modules are installed on the roof of the main building, while the remaining 45% has been intelligently designed to provide shading for the car park, adding an extra benefit for parents.
In collaboration with The Phuket Farmers we have invested in making a growing garden in order to promote teaching students how to grow their own food.
Our Year 10, 12 and 13 students actively participate in environmental projects and beach cleanups as part of the Duke of Edinburgh International Award programme.
Reduction of Single-Use Plastic
We have made considerable effort to limit single-use plastic throughout the school starting in the coffee shop and extending to the classrooms. The kitchen and housekeeping departments have been challenged to implement ways in which they can reduce and recycle any plastic that is used.
Plastic Recycling Centre
We now have plastic grinders, a washer, a plastic sheet press, an extrusion machine, and a vacuum mould. These machines will enable us to teach students the full scope of taking discarded plastics and turning them into useful products.
After meeting representatives from the Scholars of Sustenance, our Food Service Committee felt compelled to support the good work the foundation is doing. We have now committed to making food donations to underprivileged people in both private and government care facilities such as foster homes. Did you know? HeadStart lunch food scraps are collected by a farmer and fed to pigs so that no food goes to waste. Help us out and don’t mix your tissues in with the scraps!